Saturday, October 4, 2008

This Year's Hari Raya Theme: Wild Animals!!

It is Saturday and I just got back from kampung in Negeri Sembilan. I was there from Tuesday to celebrate Hari Raya and it was fun! Most of my aunts, uncles and cousins were there so it was like a get together which we rarely get to do. Anyway, something interesting happened on the second day of Raya. We were all lazing around my grandparents’ house when someone who was in front of the house started screaming. I think it was my aunt’s maid. She was shouting something that sounded like “Ular! Ada ular!” That got everyone’s attention. My cousins and I ran out outside the house. We were all excited and not even scared that there was a snake under the house! The snake was about 2 to 3 feet long. I guess there was some kind of nonverbal group communication happening as my brother and cousins each took a wooden bar, a galah and a rake to scare the snake without even saying much.

One of my cousins prodded the snake with the galah. The snake panicked and slithered away under a table which was in front of the house. The snake met its end under that table when my brother and two cousins trapped and killed the snake. They had this mutual goal as a group which was to kill the snake so that it would not harm anyone. Yep…the snake died. Don’t sue us for harming wild animals okay! It could have bitten us! Later that night, a frog managed to come in the house. I heard from my grandmother that its urine is dangerous. The frog sprays its urine to people if provoked. Well, after some debate among my family about who gets the honors of getting rid of the frog, a mutual understanding was reached.(small group communication) =D My grandmother agreed to get rid of it. No worries...the frog didn't die. It just ran away into a bush. Anyway...safe to say it was an unforgettable experience. At least it made this year’s Hari Raya more exciting! =)

-Hidayah-

No comments: